The idea of a Bach monument for Eisenach came up already in 1850. It was to take many years before a "memorial committee" was able to award the contract to Adolf von Donndorf. Well-known musicians such as Clara Schumann, Franz Liszt and Hans von Bülow supported the project financially. In 1884, it was solemnly inaugurated in front of the Georgenkirche with the B minor mass. Since the market place was to be cleared for marches and parades in 1938, the monument was moved to Frauenplan, where it still stands today.