DEDICATED TO A DARK HOUR OF OUR CITY
On the evening of 1 September 1810, a terrible catastrophe occurred in Eisenach: powder and ammunition wagons of French troops exploded in the middle of the city. The Black Well is a reminder of this.
When illegal French ammunition transports rolled through the city, powder probably trickled onto the street from a defective barrel. Sparks caused by horse hooves resulted in a massive explosion. With fatal consequences: more than 70 people died, 24 houses were destroyed, and countless others were injured. Letters of condolence and donations came from home and abroad. Napoleon Bonaparte sent 120,000 francs. In memory of this disaster, the Black Fountain was inaugurated in 1817.
Every year, the city of Eisenach commemorates this disaster on the evening of 1 September. The town bells ring in memory of the dark hour of the town history.