Looking at the impressive façade of the Eisenach City Palace on the north side of the market square, it is hard to believe that the master builder skilfully incorporated six time-honoured town houses. In 1755, the Duke of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach moved into the stately residence and numerous famous visitors - such as Goethe and Frau von Stein, Telemann and Richard Wagner - came to see him.
Today, the City Palace houses the Thuringian Museum of Eisenach and the tourist information. Porcelains, faiences and glasses, graphics, wrought iron, traditional costumes, paintings, a historic pharmacy and much more can be discovered in the magnificent exhibition rooms.
Important information: Group visits outside opening hours and guided tours on request, advance booking at: +49 (0) 3691 / 670450.